BUDDHISM IN A NUTSHELL
It presents basic Buddhist philosophy and principles within the Tibetan Mahayana context, and provides simple meditation instruction.
Buddhism in a Nutshell is presented in five sessions and covers these basic principles of Buddhism:
- Life of Shakyamuni Buddha; the similarities of Shakyamuni Buddha’s life to ours; how the Buddha answered the big “meaning of life” questions that we all have
- The Four Noble Truths
- The structure of the Four Noble Truths based on the medical model
- Truth of Suffering — the diagnosis of our existential situation
- Truth of the Cause of Suffering — karma, delusions, ignorance
- Truth of the Cessation of Suffering — nirvana
- Truth of the Path to the Cessation of Suffering — practices of the wisdom and methods taught by the Buddha
- Buddha’s teachings in a gradual form for the practice of one individual … where to start, what next, etc.
- What does it mean to be a Buddhist, an “inner being”
- Specifics of the path: three principles of the path using Foundation of All Good Qualities
- Different kinds of Buddhism: Theravadan, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Zen, Ch’an, Pure Land, etc.
- Different schools of Tibetan Buddhism: Gelug, Kagyu, Sakya, Nyingma
- A little history of Buddhism